Sunday, April 10, 2011

layers and reflections.

Cemeteries have long held a special place in my heart.  I'm not quite sure how it all started, but they have become one of those places that I very intentionally seek out.  They are a place to spend time thinking and sorting out life's questions.


A place to peel back layers.


Reflect.


Sometimes, all I do is read grave markers.  I examine names, dates of birth or death, keywords about who this person might have been. I investigate whether the deceased is buried near their husband, wife, or children.  Or are they all alone in an underground sea of graves?  

Other times, I just like to observe the headstones themselves--occasionally there's one so magnificent that you can only stare and marvel at the artistry of it.  Others are so old that the names are no longer visible, while others yet have fallen atop of neighboring gravestones. 

How kempt is the plot?  Has anyone recently left flowers?  Is this person still remembered and loved?  Have they been forgotten entirely?  Did they accomplish what they set out to accomplish with their lives....  did they make a difference.... were they good people.....

It's enough to make you examine your own life--in whichever way you need it most at that moment.