Monday, April 4, 2011

spring time.

Despite what science may say about the Vernal Equinox, the sun's positioning, or the tilting of the earth's axis, I nonetheless declare today to be the first official day of Spring here in Philadelphia, PA.  After spending the weekend in our winter coats, today is shaping up to be one of those gorgeous Spring days that we've so anxiously awaited--the sun is shining with wild abandon, the temperature is currently lingering in the 60's (fast approaching 70's) and I've had a wonderful morning spent outside... wearing a T-shirt!

This morning I woke up (not super-early, mind you) to the sound of singing birds.  They soon beckoned me outside to do the first round of backyard clean-up, which I've been anticipating for weeks now.  I started by raking up a few bags full of dead leaves--leaves that had fallen after my final round of pre-winter raking.  It felt so great to move the earth around a little bit and breathe in the fresh, thawing smell of dirt and earthworms.  

Now I sit outside, munching on a simple homemade lunch with our cat Random sleeping soundly on the window sill overlooking the patio set.  

This, right now, is the best.